Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Patience

I have been thinking about this a lot lately. Ever since I recently began praying everyday, I have been praying for more patience. Or rather to learn how to be more patient...whichever way I say it doesn't quite sound right, but you get the jist of it.

So this is what happened...
Things haven't been running very smooth here. Issues with all sorts of things, money, John's happiness at his job, running children to activites, getting the older children to pitch in around the house more, my feet (a whole other post in itself), etc....So I go to Church one Sunday, feeling completely weighed down by it all and like I really didn't have time to spend three hours at Church, and feeling like Praying just wasn't working for me, and poor me...etc. Then in the third hour, Relief Society (it is a time when just the women meet for a lesson and discussion), a lesson was taught about patience. WHOA! "Did she just say her lesson was on patience?" this was my first thought. And seriously, I don't know how it happens, but everytime I attend Church feeling broken down and blah, someone gives a talk, or a testimony, or just adds to the discussion, the one thing that is on my mind at the time. I know it sounds nutty, but I'm telling you, this is how I know this Church it True and that Heavenly Father is listening and responding, just not always how I think He will....Anyways, back to my revelations on patience. So the wonderful woman who is teaching the class (forgive me, I cannot for the life of me remember her name), is really talking about being patient in our Faith and is discussing how the Lord is patient with us...At some point I'm sure I became preoccupied with Finn, or was distracted...I really mostly try to listen and take it all in, but I also have an 8 month old baby and my 4 year old running around, usually in the hallway, so I almost always miss part of the talk.

After the lesson, I go home and I don't think about it much again. I know I'm not a good example, but I am honest.

A month later, I am driving to Ohio to visit my Mom. This had been a particularly awful day. I won't go in to detail, but by awful, I mean really bad, let's just say I started the morning sobbing at 7am. But as I was driving through some rural part of the highway, I had a revelation! PATIENCE...oh my goodness! This is my lesson, this is what I have been praying about. This is how Heavenly Father is teaching me. It was like a ton of bricks. I am learning how to be patient everyday. I think my lesson, was more focused on my selfishness and haste, in wanting what I want, when I want it (sounds good in theory.) But, I think that struggling a little in life and having the patience to just make it through everyday is MY lesson. He is teaching me and helping me and making me stronger. CRAZY! This is all so new and strange, some may say just coincidence, but I have to belief it is Divine Intervention.

So, I know that there a lot of my friends who don't have the same beliefs and will definitely think I have lost my mind (there are still times I wonder too), but I am serious about this. I have never been a religious person, nor have I ever been someone to go to Church, especially for three hours, but this is something I cannot deny. And I know you will all still love me as much as I love all of you. I just wanted to share my story because it happened a while ago and I still can't stop thinking about how real it was or I should say, how obvious it was, after all.

To all my friends from Church that inspire me, encourage me to attend, and help me to learn...Thank you!

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing, Jamie!! What a great "testimony" moment...revelation like that certainly helps make the insane moments in life livable! If there's ever anything I can do for you. don't hestitate to call! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very inspiring Jamie! I think we all get the "I want what I want, when I want it" mentality at times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know I was just kidding about the "if you would come to church comment" It was just my selfishness getting the best of me because I miss being with you. I am so proud of you for committing to pray everyday. That will bless your life more than anything else you do to have a personal relationship with Heavenly Father. I loved reading this post and seeing how much you are growing and learning. I love you..please forgive me for that sarcastic comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenny, I love your sarcasm and someone has to keep me in line :) There is nothing to forgive, you are too sweet. I love you tons!

    Thanks Bonnie and Nashelle. It is amazing how much my thoughts and ideas are changing and becoming more clear. I am so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know we don't share the "exact" beliefs but I really think that the exactness is the small stuff that people say not to sweat. I have a very close bond with spirit and every time I ask for something I get it(whether it is the way I expected or not). The trick is to ask for what your spirit needs and not "stuff". The "stuff" I want today is probably not the stuff I will want tomorrow(we learned that lesson from all the excess scrapbook stuff we tried to unload). There is nothing wrong with having stuff as long as you completely understand that no thing can fill up emptiness or bring lasting happiness. You might enjoy it for a minute but eventually it loses it's shine and the emptiness returns or something new catches your eye.I don't have wealth and I don't have perfection but anyone who knows me can tell you I have found what I need and have benefited from my unhappiness by learning lessons that helped me be happier and more appreciative the next time around. Patience is one of the hardest lessons but it is (in my opinion) one of lessons most closely tied to faith.
    So congrats to you on pursuing such a difficult lesson and know that I would never judge you for your spirituality cause I know you have never judged me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jamie,
    I don't know if it was my lesson on patience that you are talking about or sister Quigley's but mine was on a first sunday and the presidency member gets to choose the topic for the first Sunday of the month's lesson. I was really having a hard time picking a topic and I went around and around trying out all kinds of topics and it suddenly hit me that I had to teach about patience. I thought it was weird because I knew sister Quigley was teaching about it 3 weeks later, but I needed to teach it anyway. I learned a lot teaching it, and if if was my lesson you were talking about, I'm glad it helped you too. The spirit is a master teacher and I'm so grateful for Him.
    Love you!
    Melody

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jamie,
    I loved this post. It makes me feel so happy that your 'seed' of faith is growing, and you are feeling the blessings from it, and you are recognizing that it is a good seed. Look up Alma 32 - your post totally made me think of this chapter.
    I love you! I'm so glad you shared this spiritual experience. You are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jamie- This is EXACTLY what I needed to hear, right now! Thank you for sharing this sweet testimony and important reminder. I love you!
    -Ruth

    ReplyDelete